In recent years, social media has exploded with viral trends and memes taking the internet by storm. One such meme that gained immense popularity in 2020 was the “Is it cake?” trend, which involved videos of seemingly inanimate objects being cut open to reveal they were actually cakes. The origin of this trend can be traced back to a video posted by Brittany Broski, a TikTok user, which featured her slicing a household sponge to reveal it was actually a cake. From there, the trend spread like wildfire, with people sharing videos of everything from plants to sneakers being cut open to reveal they were cakes. This trend not only took social media platforms by storm, but also sparked a number of humorous debates and inspired countless memes. In this article, we will delve deeper into the “Is it cake?” trend, exploring its origins, the various objects people have turned into cakes, and the impact it has had on social media.
The Origins of the Meme
What is a Meme?
A meme is a cultural item or behavior that spreads from one person to another within a culture. This can be anything from an image, video, phrase, or idea. Memes are often humorous and can quickly gain popularity through social media platforms like Twitter and Instagram.
The Birth of the Brittany Broski Meme
The Brittany Broski meme originated from a TikTok video posted by user @brittany_broski in April 2020. In the video, Broski takes a sip of Kombucha and exclaims “It’s like drinking my own damn…” before realizing she’s on camera and switching to “foot juice.” The absurdity of her reaction combined with her quirky personality made the video go viral almost immediately.
How Memes Spread
Memes spread through social media platforms like wildfire. Once someone creates or shares a meme, it has the potential to reach millions within hours. Social media algorithms favor content that gets high engagement rates quickly, so memes that are funny or relatable tend to take off faster than others.
Evolution of the Brittany Broski Meme
As with most memes, once they start gaining traction online people begin finding new ways to remix them for comedic effect. The Brittany Broski meme has evolved into countless variations including photoshopped images with captions ranging from “Is it cake?” to “Is it gasoline?” Her original Kombucha clip has been edited into various situations such as drinking Windex or taking shots at a bar.
Why Do We Love Memes?
Memes serve as both entertainment and commentary on current events and pop culture trends. They allow us to express ourselves in creative ways while also connecting us with others who share our sense of humor or interests. Additionally, memes have become an integral part of internet culture – they’re everywhere you look online!
From Internet Phenomenon to Mainstream Media
As memes continue to gain popularity, they’re also starting to cross over into mainstream media. The Brittany Broski meme was featured on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and even led to a collaboration with Kombucha brand, Health-Ade. Memes are no longer just internet fads – they’ve become a legitimate form of expression and entertainment.
The Popularity Explosion on TikTok
The “Is it cake?” meme, which originated from a TikTok video posted by Brittany Broski in 2020, quickly went viral and saw people cutting open various objects to reveal a cake. The enduring legacy of this meme is attributed to its relatability, humor, and sense of shared experience. Memes such as this one have become a reflection of contemporary culture, and their impact goes beyond just social media – they can influence broader pop culture trends and even be used as tools for political or social activism online. As memes continue to gain popularity, they are also starting to cross over into mainstream media and become a legitimate form of expression and entertainment.
What is TikTok?
TikTok is a social media app that allows users to create and share short videos set to music. It has quickly become one of the most popular apps in the world, with over 1 billion active users across the globe. The app’s algorithm uses machine learning to show users content that aligns with their interests, making it easy for anyone to go viral.
TikTok’s Role in the Brittany Broski Meme
TikTok played a significant role in the popularity explosion of the Brittany Broski meme. After her Kombucha video went viral on Twitter, it was shared on TikTok by thousands of users who added their own spin to it. Broski herself began posting more videos on the app, which helped her gain even more followers and cemented her status as a viral sensation.
Other Memes That Went Viral on TikTok
The Brittany Broski meme isn’t the only one that has gone viral on Tiktok. Here are some others:
- “Renegade” Dance: This dance became so popular that it started appearing in professional sports games and music videos.
- Ratatouille Musical: A group of creators came together to create a musical based on the Pixar movie “Ratatouille,” which gained widespread attention and support from famous Broadway stars.
- “Savage” Dance: This dance was created by user @keke.janajah and quickly went viral after being performed by celebrities like Megan Thee Stallion.
Why is Tiktok So Popular?
Tiktok’s popularity can be attributed to several factors:
- Ease of Use: The app is incredibly user-friendly, making it easy for anyone to create content without needing expensive equipment or editing software.
- Algorithmic Feed: The algorithm used by Tiktok ensures that users are constantly seeing new content tailored specifically for them, keeping them engaged with the app for longer periods of time.
- Viral Potential: The app’s algorithm also makes it easy for content to go viral quickly, which encourages users to keep creating and sharing new content.
Impact on Pop Culture
Tiktok has had a significant impact on pop culture, with many trends and memes originating from the app. Here are some examples:
- Fashion Trends: Tiktok has popularized several fashion trends, including oversized blazers, chunky sneakers, and bucket hats.
- Music Trends: Songs that go viral on Tiktok often become chart-topping hits. Examples include Lil Nas X’s “Old Town Road” and Doja Cat’s “Say So.”
- Comedy Trends: Many comedians have gained popularity through their skits and jokes posted on Tiktok.
How Brands are Utilizing TikTok
Brands have also jumped on the TikTok bandwagon in recent years. Here are some ways they’re using the app:
- Influencer Marketing: Brands partner with popular creators to promote their products or services to their followers.
- Hashtag Challenges: Brands create challenges around a specific hashtag that encourages users to participate by creating their own videos using the brand’s products or themes.
- Brand Accounts: Some brands have even created their own accounts where they post original content specifically tailored for the platform.
The Effect on Brittany Broski’s Personal Brand
The “Is it cake?” meme, originated from a TikTok video by Brittany Broski in April 2020, became a viral sensation that spread across social media platforms. Memes like this offer a shared experience and may influence broader pop culture trends. Brands are beginning to utilise memes for their advertising campaigns. Memes are an integral part of internet culture and can serve as both entertainment and commentary on current events and pop culture trends.
Who is Brittany Broski?
Brittany Broski, also known as “Kombucha Girl,” is a social media personality who gained fame through her viral Kombucha video. She has amassed over 5 million followers across various platforms and has even landed brand deals with companies like Kombucha brand Health-Ade.
The Positive Impact
The Brittany Broski meme had a largely positive impact on her personal brand. Here are some ways it helped:
- Increased Visibility: The meme brought her to the attention of millions of people who may not have otherwise discovered her content.
- Growth in Followers: Her social media following grew significantly after the video went viral, which allowed her to reach even more people with subsequent posts.
- Brand Deals: As mentioned earlier, she was able to secure a partnership with Health-Ade due in part to the popularity of the meme.
While the Brittany Broski meme brought many benefits, it also presented some challenges for her personal brand. Here are some examples:
- Typecasting: Some worried that she would be forever associated with the Kombucha video and not taken seriously as a content creator.
- Pressure to Perform: With increased visibility comes increased pressure to create content that lives up to expectations. This can be stressful and challenging for any creator.
How She Overcame Challenges
Despite these challenges, Brittany was able to overcome them thanks in part to how she handled herself online. Here are some examples:
- Diversified Content: Instead of relying solely on Kombucha-related videos, she began creating other types of content that showcased more facets of her personality.
- Authenticity: Fans appreciated how genuine and relatable she was online. This helped humanize her and make fans feel more connected.
### Lessons Learned
Brittany’s experience can provide valuable lessons for others looking to build their personal brand online. Here are some takeaways:
- Embrace Your Quirks: What makes you unique can also be your greatest asset. Brittany’s quirky personality is what made her stand out in the first place.
- Diversify Your Content: While it’s important to have a niche, it’s also important to showcase different sides of yourself and create content that appeals to a wider audience.
- Stay True to Yourself: Authenticity is key when building a personal brand. Fans can tell when someone is not being genuine, so it’s important to stay true to who you are online.
The Impact on the Larger Internet Community
The “Is it cake?” meme trend that went viral in 2020 originated from a TikTok video posted by Brittany Broski. This trend involved cutting open seemingly inanimate objects to reveal they were actually cakes. Memes like this one become ingrained in our culture as they are repeatedly shared across various platforms. The enduring legacy of this meme trend has also impacted marketing, with companies utilizing the power of internet memes for their campaigns. As the internet evolves, we can expect future memes to have elements of relatability, humor, and a sense of shared experience.
Memes as a Reflection of Culture
Memes are often seen as a reflection of contemporary culture. They offer insight into what people find funny, relatable, or interesting at any given moment. The Brittany Broski meme is no exception – it provides a window into the way people consume and engage with social media content.
A Shared Experience
One of the most significant impacts of memes like the Brittany Broski one is that they create a shared experience for those who engage with them. People across different demographics and backgrounds can relate to and appreciate an internet meme, which helps build community and foster connections.
The Role of Social Media Platforms
Social media platforms play an important role in amplifying memes like the Brittany Broski one. These platforms have algorithms designed to promote content that’s getting high engagement rates, which means that popular memes can quickly gain traction and be seen by millions in a matter of hours.
Influence on Pop Culture Trends
The impact of popular internet memes like this one goes beyond just social media – they can also influence broader pop culture trends. For example:
- Fashion: Tiktok fashion trends have become increasingly popular among Gen Z audiences.
- Music: Songs featured in viral Tiktok videos often see increased popularity on music streaming platforms.
- Language: Phrases coined by internet memes often make their way into mainstream language use.
Positive vs Negative Impact
Not all internet memes have positive impacts – some can be used to spread hate or misinformation online. However, many provide opportunities for humor, connection, and even activism:
- Humor: Many internet users enjoy participating in humorous meme communities online.
- Connection: Memes can bring people together around common interests or experiences.
- Activism: Memes are often used as tools for political or social activism online.
The Enduring Legacy of the “Is It Cake?” Meme
The Origin of the “Is It Cake?” Meme
The “Is it cake?” meme is a remix of the Brittany Broski meme that first gained popularity on Twitter and TikTok in 2020. In the new version, users share videos or photos that look like everyday objects until they cut into them to reveal a cake interior.
The Popularity Explosion
Like its predecessor, the “Is it cake?” meme quickly went viral across social media platforms. People began creating their own versions with everything from shoes to soap bars being transformed into cakes. This phenomenon continued even after the original trend died down, showing how enduring some internet memes can be.
Why Do Memes Like This One Endure?
There are several reasons why memes like this one have an enduring legacy:
- Nostalgia: Memes often tap into feelings of nostalgia or familiarity, which makes them appealing to a wide audience.
- Humor: Many memes are simply funny, and humor is something that people enjoy regardless of their background or interests.
- Shared Experience: As mentioned earlier, memes create shared experiences among internet users.
How Memes Become Part of Internet Culture
Memes like “Is it cake?” become part of internet culture when they’re repeatedly shared across multiple platforms and by various users. Over time, they become ingrained in our collective consciousness and help define what we consider as popular culture.
Impact on Marketing
As with other viral trends online, marketers have begun tapping into the power of internet memes for their campaigns. Some companies have created ads featuring cakes disguised as everyday objects in an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of this particular meme trend.
Future Predictions for Memes
It’s difficult to predict what future memes will look like as taste and trends constantly evolve online. However, we can expect certain elements that make up popular memes to endure, such as relatability, humor, and a sense of shared experience.## FAQs
Brittany Broski is a social media influencer and content creator who gained widespread recognition in 2019 for her reaction video to a kombucha drink. She gained internet fame for her catchphrase “Kombucha girl” and has amassed a large following on various social media platforms such as TikTok, YouTube, and Instagram.
Is it a cake reference to Brittany Broski?
Yes, “Is it cake?” is a reference to Brittany Broski’s famous video in which she asks the same question while slicing a fake croc hat, mistaking it for a cake. The phrase has since been used as a meme, often involving videos or photos of everyday objects being cut to reveal that they are not actually cake.
What is the meaning of the phrase “Is it cake Brittany Broski”?
The phrase “Is it cake Brittany Broski” is often used as a humorous way of asking whether something is real or fake. This can refer to physical objects or even people. The original video involving Brittany Broski has inspired a whole host of memes and parodies, making the phrase a popular internet trend.
Why did Brittany Broski’s video become so popular?
Brittany Broski’s video became so popular because of the relatability and humor in her reaction. Seeing her mistake a hat for a cake and then her confusion when she realized it was not edible was something that many people could relate to. Additionally, her catchphrase “Kombucha girl” and quirky personality drew people in and helped to propel her to internet fame.