Stitch cake is a delightful dessert that’s trending everywhere, and for good reason! This cake, inspired by the lovable Disney character, Stitch, is a perfect addition to any celebration. With its vibrant blue fur and cute little bellybutton, Stitch has undoubtedly grabbed our hearts. And now, his likeness on a cake has become quite a sensation. Surprisingly, making a Stitch cake is not as daunting as it seems. By following a few simple steps, you too can create a highlight-worthy dessert to impress your family and friends. In this article, we will walk you through the process of making a Stitch cake from start to finish. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced baker, we’ve got you covered. From choosing the right ingredients to decorating the cake with Stitch’s playful features, we will guide you through every step to make the ultimate Stitch cake. So, let’s get started and unleash the inner baker in you!
If you’re looking to make a delicious Stitch cake, the first and most important step is to gather all the necessary ingredients. Here is a list of everything you will need:
For the Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Two large eggs
- Two teaspoons vanilla extract
- One cup boiling water
For the Frosting:
- One and a half cups unsalted butter, softened
- Five cups powdered sugar
- Half a cup of heavy cream or milk
- One tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Assemble all your ingredients before starting on your cake to ensure that you have everything needed for this recipe.
All-purpose flour is one of the primary ingredients in making this stitch cake. It provides structure and texture to our cake.
Granulated sugar serves as our sweetener in this recipe. It helps to add sweetness while also providing moisture for our cake.
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Adding cocoa powder gives our stitch cake its rich chocolate flavor without being too sweet. Use unsweetened cocoa powder instead of sweetened varieties as it will give you more control over how much sugar goes into your recipe.
Baking Soda & Baking Powder
Both baking soda and baking powder are essential leavening agents that help our stitch cake rise during baking. They work by creating air pockets in the batter, which makes it light and fluffy.
Buttermilk adds tanginess, tenderness, and richness while keeping our stitch cake moist without making it too dense or heavy.
### Vegetable Oil
Vegetable oil is a crucial ingredient that helps to keep our stitch cake moist and tender. It also acts as a substitute for butter, which can make the cake too dense.
Eggs are used to bind and stabilize the ingredients in our recipe while also adding moisture and richness to our stitch cake.
Vanilla extract adds flavor to our recipe. Make sure you use pure vanilla extract as it has a more robust flavor than imitation extracts.
Adding boiling water helps in dissolving cocoa powder and activating baking soda, which results in a tender crumb texture of the stitch cake.
Unsalted butter is used for making frosting. It has less salt content than regular salted butter, so you can control how much salt goes into your recipe.
Powdered sugar is an essential ingredient that gives your frosting its sweet taste while also helping it achieve its creamy consistency.
### Heavy Cream or Milk
Heavy cream or milk adds richness to your frosting while giving it its smooth texture. You can use either depending on your preference or what’s available at hand.
### Pure Vanilla Extract
Adding vanilla extract will give your frosting an excellent aroma and taste without overpowering other flavors present in the frosting.
Now that we have all of our ingredients let’s move onto how we can make this delicious Stitch Cake!
Preparing the Cake Mix
Now that you have all of your ingredients ready let’s move on to preparing the cake mix. Follow these steps carefully to make sure that your stitch cake comes out perfect!
Mixing Dry Ingredients
The first step is to mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Sift two cups of all-purpose flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1 3/4 cups of granulated sugar, three-fourths cup unsweetened cocoa powder, two teaspoons baking soda, one teaspoon baking powder, and one teaspoon salt.
- Whisk everything together until well combined.
Adding Wet Ingredients
After mixing the dry ingredients thoroughly now it’s time to add in wet ingredients.
- In another bowl whisk two large eggs with two teaspoons vanilla extract.
- Gradually add half a cup vegetable oil while whisking continuously until it’s well combined.
- Pour in one cup buttermilk and mix everything until smooth.
Combining Dry and Wet Ingredients
Now that we have our dry and wet ingredients separately mixed-up let’s combine them for making our stitch cake batter.
- Gradually pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture while stirring continuously with an electric mixer (or by hand) at low speed for about two minutes or until everything is well incorporated.
- Add one cup boiling water slowly while continuously stirring your batter using an electric mixer (or by hand) at low speed for about another minute or so until everything is evenly mixed through.
Ensure that there are no lumps present in your batter, as they can cause uneven cooking during baking.
Greasing Your Cake Pans
Before pouring our Stitch cake batter into pans we need to prepare them first by greasing them properly so that our finished product doesn’t stick onto pans or break apart when removing from it later on.
Choosing Your Pans
Choose two 9-inch cake pans and grease them with butter or baking spray. Parchment paper can also be used to line the bottom of the pans, which makes it easier to remove the cake from the pan.
Greasing Your Pans
Follow these steps for greasing your pans:
- Take a small amount of softened butter on a paper towel or brush.
- Rub it all over both sides and edges of your pan in such a way that no part is left ungreased.
- Alternatively, use baking spray by holding it about an inch away from each pan and spraying liberally at every corner for even coverage.
Make sure that you have evenly greased your pans before pouring your batter into them.
Pouring Your Batter
Now that our cake mix is ready and our pans are greased let’s pour our batter into these prepared pans so that we can bake them to perfection!
Dividing The Batter
Divide your stitch cake batter equally between both prepared cake pans using a spatula or large spoon, ensuring that they are levelled out evenly.
Tapping And Smoothing The Surface
After dividing the mixture now gently tap each filled pan onto a flat surface like kitchen counter/tabletop to release any trapped air bubbles present inside the mixture. Smooth out their surfaces using spatula making sure they are leveled out completely before placing in oven for baking.
Bake in preheated oven at 350°F/180°C for 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted comes clean, then remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting with desired toppings!
Assembling the Layers
Now that your stitch cake layers are ready, it’s time to put them together and frost them. Follow these steps for a perfectly assembled stitch cake:
Cooling Your Cake Layers
Before assembling your cake, make sure that your cake layers are completely cool. You can let them cool at room temperature or in the fridge to speed up the process.
Trimming The Cake Layers
Trimming the tops of your cakes is an optional step but highly recommended if you want a flat even surface on top of your assembled stitch cake.
- Place one layer of cooled stitch cake onto a turntable or plate.
- Using a serrated knife, gently slice off any uneven parts from the top of this first layer so that it has an even surface.
- Repeat this process with the other layer as well.
Adding Frosting Between The Layers
The frosting is what binds our two layers together and gives our stitch cake its flavourful taste! Here’s how you can add frosting between each layer:
- Scoop out about 2 cups of frosting into a separate bowl.
- Take one cooled trimmed layer and place it onto serving platter/turntable
- Spread about 1 cup (or more) frosting over its surface using spatula/offset knife making sure to spread it evenly across entire surface.
- Add another trimmed layer on top followed by another cup (or more) frosting on its upper side using same method used before.
5.Repeat until all layers have been added while ensuring that there is enough space between each layer for adding more filling if necessary.
Make sure you don’t use too much filling in-between layers as this will make everything slide apart when cutting later on.
A “crumb coat” helps seal in crumbs and create a smooth base for final decoration work on top of our stitched up-cake! Follow these steps to crumb coat your assembled cake:
- Spread a thin layer of frosting all over the sides and top of the assembled cake, using a spatula or offset knife.
- Make sure that your layer is smooth and even, covering any exposed areas while also ensuring not to mix up crumbs or filling with your clean frosting.
- Chill the cake in the fridge for about 30 minutes until this crumb coat has set.
After chilling it’s time for adding final coating of frosting on stitch cake layers! Follow these steps:
- Take out chilled stitch cake from fridge
- Add another thick layer of frosting all over its surface ensuring that everything is evenly covered while taking care not to mix up crumbs or filling with fresh coat.
- Smooth out this final coating using a spatula/offset knife making sure that there are no air bubbles present in it.
Decorating Your Stitch Cake
Now comes the fun part! You can add some awesome decorations on top of your stitch cake so that everyone knows how fantastic you are as baker!
1.Use an icing bag fitted with tip nozzle (your choice) to pipe around edges if desired.
2.Decorate by piping small dots, swirls or stars along edges
3.Add edible pearls/sprinkles/candies in-between each piped design
4.Pipe on desired message if celebrating an occasion like birthdays/weddings etc.
Use your creativity and imagination here as anything goes when it comes to decorating stitches cakes!
Creating and Decorating Stitch
Creating and decorating Stitch for your stitch cake is one of the most exciting parts of this baking process. Here’s how you can make a cute and adorable Stitch using fondant:
Fondant is a type of sugar paste that can be used to create various shapes, designs, and decorations on cakes. Here’s how you can make it:
- Melt four cups miniature marshmallows with two tablespoons water in microwave or over low heat on the stove until they become soft.
- Add two cups powdered sugar to melted marshmallows mixture gradually while stirring continuously until everything is well combined.
- Knead this mixture with your hands until it becomes smooth.
If the fondant feels too dry or sticky, add some cornstarch/powdered sugar to adjust its consistency.
Shaping The Fondant
Use blue food coloring in small amounts to color the fondant into a cool shade of blue for our stitch cake.
1.Roll out colored fondant onto a clean surface dusted with cornstarch/icing sugar.
2.Use biscuit cutters or anything round at hand (like lid from jar) to cut out circles measuring about 1-inch diameter
3.Shape each circle into oval shape by gently pressing down on sides using fingers
4.Make sure that these ovals are all uniform in size so that we get an even-looking stitch!
Adding Details To Stitch
Now that we have our stitched-shaped ovals ready let’s add some details to them so they look like Stitch!
1.Roll out white-colored fondant onto clean surface dusted with cornstarch/icing sugar.
2.Cut small pieces from it using biscuit cutter/lid edges/scissors(whatever works best)
3.Shape each piece into teardrop shape by rolling between palms gently
4.Attach these teardrops onto top part of each oval shaped fondant to make ears of our Stitch using a little bit of water or edible glue.
5.For the eyes, you can either use small edible eyes that are available in stores or create them by making small balls from black-colored fondant and flattening them into disks before attaching them to our Stitch.
Creating Nose And Mouth
1.Shape small piece from leftover white-colored fondant into oval shape for nose
2.Use a toothpick or skewer to make small holes on top of nose followed by cutting it in half with knife.
3.Attach these halves onto bottom part of each oval-shaped fondant using water/edible glue as adhesive
4.Shape two tiny triangles out of black-colored fondant for nostrils and attach them above the center line on each half circle/nose piece.
5.To create mouth, cut out thin strip from red-colored fondant and gently press onto lower part of each oval-shaped piece.
Decorating Your Cake With Stitch
Now that we have created our cute little stitch decorations, it’s time to place them onto our cake!
1.Remove chilled stitched cake layers from fridge after they have been assembled/frosted properly
2.Place your prepared stitch pieces on top surface carefully so that they stick firmly into frosting without falling off.
3.Add additional decorations like flowers/leaves/sprinkles/candies around your stitched up-cake if desired.
Voila! Your delicious stitch cake is ready to be served!
Enjoying Your Stitch Cake
Now that your stitch cake is ready, it’s time to enjoy the fruits of your labor! Here are a few tips on how to serve and store your stitch cake:
Serving Your Stitch Cake
When it comes to serving your stitch cake, there are a few options you can choose from:
- Cut into slices: Use a sharp knife to cut slices of desired size from stitched up-cake.
- Decorate with extra toppings: Add some whipped cream/strawberries/chocolate sauce or any other desired topping over each slice before serving.
- Share with family and friends: Enjoy this delicious treat with loved ones at home or bring it to a party/event for everyone else!
Storing Your Stitch Cake
If you have any leftover stitch cake pieces or want to store it for later consumption then follow these steps:
- Cover remaining sliced pieces tightly in plastic wrap/cling film before storing them in fridge for upto 3-5 days.
- For storing full stitched-upcake, cover tightly with plastic wrap
What is a stitch cake?
A stitch cake is a cake designed to look like the character “Stitch” from the Disney movie Lilo & Stitch. It typically has blue frosting and fondant accents to create the appearance of Stitch’s face and features.
How do I make a Stitch cake?
To make a Stitch cake, you will need to start by baking a cake in a round or sheet pan. Once the cake has cooled, you can begin frosting it with blue buttercream frosting. Use fondant to create Stitch’s eyes, nose, and mouth, and add additional details like his antennae and ears. You may want to consult a tutorial or use a stencil to ensure that your cake looks as much like Stitch as possible.
What kind of frosting should I use for a Stitch cake?
Typically, a Stitch cake is frosted with blue buttercream frosting to match the character’s fur color. It’s important to choose a high-quality frosting that has a good consistency for piping and decorating, as you will need to use it to create many of Stitch’s features and details. Be sure to also chill your frosting before decorating to make it easier to work with.
What are some tips for decorating a Stitch cake?
When decorating a Stitch cake, it’s important to pay attention to the details. Study pictures of the character and pay special attention to the shape and placement of his features, like his eyes, nose, and mouth. Use a variety of piping tips and fondant tools to create texture and dimension. And finally, don’t be afraid to experiment and have fun with your design – after all, a Stitch cake is supposed to be whimsical and playful!